Simplified Master Data and Price Management
FIS / mpm (Master Data and Price Management) aligns specific routes and roles when creating master data in SAP. A staging area with a shadow database ensures the trouble-free exchange of master data with SAP Production.
The FIS / mpm application has been developed specifically for organisations with SAP ERP who face issues when adding new or maintaining existing master data. The FIS technology also provides functionality to upload large data volumes.
The FIS technology is an "SAP centric" application that runs on SAP standards (i.e. with familiar SAP GUIs, Fiori and NetWeaver interfaces).
FIS / mpm is an add-in application, deeply integrated into SAP standard with releases for both either SAP ECC 6 and SAP S/4HANA.
The technology works with extended tables in a shadow database, therefore eliminating the need for file exchanges and data mapping between SAP and non-integrated software.
One of the primary functions of the application is to address the issue of master data governance. FIS / mpm provides a clear method of controlling master data updates for all participants in pre-defined roles. SAP master data team members are called on at the final stage only - releasing the new data into SAP Production.
Staging Area and Shadow Database
Central to the application is the staging area. These data tables are created, modified, enhanced, checked within FIS / mpm prior to the master data being transferred to SAP ERP.
Identifying Most Common Processing Issues
FIS / mpm fundamentally addresses the most common issues when creating master data in SAP.
- Inefficient use of email as a workflow tool
- Working with complex and bespoke Excel spreadsheets with multiple worksheets that are difficult to maintain
- Processing data that includes detailed data completion notes
- In-house solutions that required bespoke coding
- SAP master data team called upon for assistance on basic taasks
- Working with external applications that exchange files with SAP standard - which can cause issues with table synchronisation with SAP upgrades and enhancement packs
- No governance with the process of creating and checking data prior to transferring into SAP
Issues with non-defined roles mean that employees that may have the most expertise of the data (i.e. for vendors, customers, materials, prices etc.) may not be aware of the stringent data requirements of SAP. In practice this usually results in data omissions and invalid fields.
Secondly, the SAP data custodians may have the knowledge of the strict master data stipulations of SAP but may have less knowledge of the initial data that is being added or maintained.
FIS / mpm reduces the time taken by senior master data teams correcting minor errors from initiators.
Roles and Processes Defined
In an effort to resolve the most common issues, FIS / mpm defines typical roles (Initiators, enrichers, SAP key-users, SAP power-users etc.) and workflow procedures for SAP ERP master data. This means that data is reviewed by the correct people and in a stringent process and workflow and therefore controlling way master data is created and maintained.
FIS / mpm addresses the core issues by defining the common tasks within the process and then providing a methodology controlled by the SAP master data team.
- FIS / mpm provides an easy-to-use interface at source for the data initiators - significantly reducing the number of fields for completion, identifying mandatory fields and provides drop down choice selections for data import
- Bulk uploads can created from FIS / mpm by defining Excel worksheets with clearly labelled tables
- The FIS / mpm Web Dynpro workflow module allows data checking by a supervisor
- The FIS / mpm application validates fields for feasibility and completeness prior to advancing the data to the SAP supervisors
- The FIS / mpm staging area is a workplace that provides a checking area before releasing of master data into SAP.
Complete and up-to-date data with the FIS / mpm Analysis Tool
Keeping the data integrity the system correct and up-to-date is a big challenge for enterprises. Checking and comparing all data is very time-consuming and is therefore rarely carried out regularly. This is where the analysis tool from FIS /mpm comes in.
The analysis tool checks the entire dataset either at defined points in time or manually initiated using pre-defined criteria. In this way, for example, the address data of customers is regularly checked for completeness.
For incorrect data records, a data maintenance process can then be started with FIS / mpm. This automatically forwards the incomplete or incorrect data records to the appropriate person responsible for processing.
The fields can also be filled automatically if, for example, the information in another field is identical or indicates the content of the field. In this way, the completeness and correctness of all data records can be permanently improved without much manual effort.
For organisations who wish to save time and effort when creating new or maintaining existing master data within SAP.
For organisations who wish to create clear roles and governance for master data changes and additions.
An alternative to:
- Complex forms and Excel sheets for participants with data expertise moving backwards and forwards between parties
- Using Email as a workflow – no clear governance on processes – process unlikely to capture all necessary data comprehensively
- Tasking SAP experts with minor data management issues
- Inefficient methods of data management handling in SAP
Key technologies and benefits:
- Versions available for both SAP ECC 6 or SAP S/4HANA
- Flexible Data Imports including data from Excel, PDFs, SAP ERP, Financial Accounts Systems and other ERP systems
- Web Dynpro workflow – allows participants with minimal SAP expertise create new and maintain master data
- Ability to ensure clear governance of roles and responsibilities – from initiation to final SAP release
- Allows bulk upload of master data (Excel) as well as single records
- Provides intelligent data validation checks prior to transfer into the FIS / mpm staging area
- FIS / mpm staging area provides final checking of data before release into SAP ERP
- Automatic reports to show the success of data transfers into SAP ERP
- Timed events to release data from FIS / mpm staging area into SAP ERP
FIS / mpm components
FIS / mpm is currently available in English, German and French with further versions available on request. Releases available for SAP ECC 6 and SAP S/4HANA
- Article master, purchasing info records and source list
- Vendor master
- Customer master
- Bill of materials
- Document Maintenance
- Sales Functions